Friday, 29 July 2016

I See You - Clare Mackintosh - Review - clever and scary

I see You by Clare Mackintosh




My Thoughts

There's only one phrase to adequately describe this book - OMG !! Clare Mackintosh is THE cognoscente of the OMG moment!

Following up a book like I let you go, which achieved rapid and powerful acclaim as the book everyone talked about, with the biggest imaginable twist in the middle, was never going to be a doddle. But Clare has managed it masterfully with her superb new title I see you, which has just completely blown me away with its twisty cunningness and unique take on the nasty side of the phenomenon of internet dating sites.

We meet and get to know Zoe and her family, her partner Simon, 2 teenage kids Katie a budding actress, all drama queen and naivety and Jason a typical "lad" with a bit of a dodgy past but getting himself on track with a steady job courtesy of Zoe's best friend and neighbour Melissa. We also meet Zoe's Ex husband Matt, loads of other characters and then theres a parallel and deeply linked storyline of Kelly a British transport police officer who has a knack for buggering things up for herself by dint of her own caring nature and tenacity which could be her saving grace or her downfall.

It's Zoe who first spots a photo of herself or someone who looks so like her that she is taken aback to see a newspaper advert for some kind of on-line dating site featuring an advert. her initial curiosity turns swiftly to indignation, then fear, as she begins to feel watched and under some kind of threat.

And that's all I'm going to say about the plot, because to enjoy this thriller, the less you know about it the more you'll enjoy it.

Clare's characters are absolutely amazing, punchy, believable and real. I go on a lot about books with great characters that you feel you've met and really know, well the ones in this book are just like that. However the author is so clever she plants little doubts in your mind and I suspected every single person of something nefarious, at some point, then chuckling at myself discarded my doubts and fears, only to pick them back up again.

Clare craftily and deliberately throws so many big fat juicy red herrings in to the pond I was paddling in, which is this book that I couldn't see my feet for them thrashing about and every single one made me go OH!

But the delectable, shuddery OMG moments are nearer the end of this book and (yes I did describe them in plural)

Inevitable comparisons will surely be made with Girl on the train which seems to be the go-to benchmark by which most new psychological thrillers are measured. This one surely deserves such a comparison, it's not just the setting which is a tad familiar being based around women who have a daily commute. The storyline is equally as devious and innovative.

Have I whet your appetite yet? Go on you know you want to read this book, don't let me stop you ... But may I suggest you think twice before reading it on your morning commute, after all maybe just maybe someone's watching you.

I received my advance copy Via Netgalley from the great publishers Little Brown Books and my thanks go to them. It's out NOW - don't miss your copy.

The BLURB

You know exactly where you're going.

You're not alone.

When Zoe Walker sees her photo in the classifieds section of a London newspaper, she is determined to find out why it's there. There's no explanation: just a website, a grainy image and a phone number. She takes it home to her family, who are convinced it's just someone who looks like Zoe. But the next day the advert shows a photo of a different woman, and another the day after that.

Is it a mistake? A coincidence? Or is someone keeping track of every move they make . . .

I See You is an edge-of-your-seat, page-turning psychological thriller from one of the most exciting and successful British debut talents of 2015.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds just up my street. Congrats. Will check it out. Much succes..

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.