Monday, 6 June 2016

The Sister - Louise Jensen - Nice and twisty



My Review

I loved this book, it grabbed me right from the beginning and by the end I felt bereft when I had to leave my new friends between the pages – oh and enemies too!!

Grace has been going through a tough time since the death of her best friend Charlie. Close since childhood, Charlie’s sudden death in her mid 20s left Grace and husband Dan bereft. All 3 of them were childhood bezzy mates. Now Grace is trying to get on an even keel she feels ready to open a memory box she and Charlie buried when they were 15 to see if it holds any clues as to what terrible thing Charlie seemed about to confess to just before she died.

What she does find is confirmation that one of Charles unfulfilled dreams was to trace her unknown father and Grace is determined that this is one last thing she can do for her friend and starts to try and track him down with the reluctant help of Charlies feckless and unreliable alcoholic Mum Lexie.

But all’s not well on the home front for Grace, Dan is increasingly distant and distracted and Grace feels someone is stalking her. But it’s obvious she has had some mental health issues in the past, having difficulty coping with her friends’ death and things which have happened in the past – so I was left wondering if maybe she has an overactive imagination

We zip back and forth over a 10 year period with fragments of the girls’ school years being gradually revealed. There no doubt that Charlie was a great pal no wonder Grace went to pieces when she died.

So when Anna contacts Grace saying she is the daughter of the man Grace has been trying to find -Charlies sister Grace is thrilled. Anna reaches out the hand of friendship towards Grace who accepts with an eagerness that shows how lonely she’s been. Could Anna be about to fill the huge gap Charlie left?

Soon Anna insinuates herself into Grace’s world and comes to stay in Grace and Dans cottage. However she proves not to be the bosom buddy of Graces dreams after all.

I felt so betrayed when Anna begins to make little “mistakes” which hurt Grace and Grace is so lonely and forgiving she just doesn’t want to see that Anna might be deliberately upsetting the apple cart.

Amongst many, there’s one particular thing I saw coming which really upset me as it rang so true with something I’ve experienced and I could see this thing was going to happen and I really wanted to warn Grace and even though I knew it was inevitable it made me cry when it happened. Yes it got under my skin, I felt intimately close to Grace and was rooting for her all the way through which made some of the things that happened to her really hard to read about. Yet it was compelling and scary and unputdownable, a really great psychological chiller. And isn't that cover eye catching!

This is Louise Jensens first foray into the world of penmanship and I foresee great things ahead This is a stunning, taut and accomplished debut novel. I for one, can’t wait until she puts pen to paper again and see what she comes up with next.

I was provided with a free advance copy to review from the Publishers the wonderful Bookouture via Netgalley and my thanks go to them.


The Blurb


"I did something terrible Grace. I hope you can forgive me ..."

Grace hasn't been the same since the death of her best friend Charlie. She is haunted by Charlie's words, the last time she saw her, and in a bid for answers, opens an old memory box of Charlie's. It soon becomes clear there was a lot she didn't know about her best friend.

When Grace starts a campaign to find Charlie's father, Anna, a girl claiming to be Charlie's sister steps forward. For Grace, finding Anna is like finding a new family, and soon Anna has made herself very comfortable in Grace and boyfriend Dan's home.

But something isn't right. Things disappear, Dan's acting strangely and Grace is sure that someone is following her. Is it all in Grace's mind? Or as she gets closer to discovering the truth about both Charlie and Anna, is Grace in terrible danger?

There was nothing she could have done to save Charlie ...or was there?

A compelling, gripping psychological thriller perfect for fans of The Girl on the Train, I Let You Go, and The Girl With No Past.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for reviewing The Sister, Jan. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to comment Louise, I hope its a great success - it should be, It's great.

      Delete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.