Wednesday, 9 December 2015

The Green Room - Faith Mortimer - murder and mayhem



My thoughts:

The Green room is a stand alone thriller in the Dark Minds series by Faith Mortimer.

I found it to be a fast paced, easy to follow murder mystery which I galloped through in a couple of sittings. I just kept turning those pages to find out what was going to happen to our main protagonist Ella.

The book begins with a gruesome and violent murder - of a victim with my name! This wasn't coincidence, I "won" the chance to have my name in print by this author and I was very excited and pleased to have a character named after me. I was however rather surprised how terribly uneasy it made me feel when reading it! This added to the eerie sense of prickling at the back of my neck, though and got me in that spooked frame of mind which is the best way to feel when you're reading a thriller.

There is a serial killer on the loose in and around Guildford and the victims are all dark haired young actresses, connected with the theatre and in particular the Green Room theatre bar.

35 year old Ella, settling into her first flat of her own, is a hard working nurse, the only theatre she works in is an operating theatre so she'll be safe from this brutal serial murderer - or will she? Her boyfriend is a policeman too so she's doubly more likely to avoid becoming a victim. But things start to happen around her which have her wondering if the killer may be closer to home than she would like. A handsome but mysterious man moves into the flat next door, a work colleague is behaving strangely, her parents seem absent more than usual and her love life is on the rocks. Poor Ella, surely things can't get much worse for her? ....

What follows is the chance to watch Ella's life spiralling out of control, to think "no, no, don't go there" and to feel relieved and a touch smug that it's not actually happening to you. Ella no longer knows who she can really trust any more and thats the scariest part for her.

The author cleverly plants lots of red herrings to throw the reader off the track and onto the wrong one and back again.

It's a very tense and creepy book. It's more of a who-dunnit than a psychological thriller to be honest and I really didn't feel I'd got inside the mind and motivation of the killer, once their identity is fully revealed. But it's a hugely entertaining read, very fast paced and gripping and a must read for anyone who enjoys a jolly good scare and loves reading about murder and mayhem.

I was provided with a free copy to read and review, and my thanks go to the author.

The Blurb.....

Ella, a thirty-five year old nurse, believes she has a good life: no money worries, a job she enjoys, a gorgeous apartment and an undemanding boyfriend…until one fateful evening when everything changes. 

A young woman is found raped and strangled near Ella’s home. The latest victim in a serial killer’s rampage across Surrey. 

Ella’s boyfriend Michael, a police constable on the team conducting the investigations of the crime, pleads with Ella to be vigilant at all times…the killer is bound to strike again. 

When a handsome, enigmatic stranger rents the empty apartment above Ella, the brutal death toll rises…but against her better judgement, Ella doesn’t listen to her boyfriend’s warnings about strangers until it is far too late… 

She is convinced that there must be a connection between the murdered women, and for some reason it is all linked to the Green Room…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.