Monday, 20 July 2015

The Mistake I made - Paula Daly - irresistably readable



The Publishers Description:

We all think we know who we are.
What we’re capable of.

Roz is a single mother, a physiotherapist, a sister, a friend. She’s also desperate.

Her business has gone under, she’s crippled by debt and she’s just had to explain to her son why someone’s taken all their furniture away.

But now a stranger has made her an offer. For one night with her, he’ll pay enough to bring her back from the edge.

Roz has a choice to make
.


MY review

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this latest twisty psychological thriller by Paula Daly whose previous 2 novels I've also enjoyed. This takes us back to her favourite setting of the Lake district to watch the main character - Roz's already crumbling life fall even further apart.

Roz is a single parent, struggling to bring up her 9 year old son George who is the centre of her world, she works hard as a physiotherapist but every penny she earns still isn't enough to clear the huge amount of debt she has ended up with since her doomed marriage floundered and she begins clutching at some very dodgy straws to extricate herself. It's difficult to tell exactly which "mistake she made" is the one in the title as this is one lady who seems unable to make the right decision at any point in her life and it really makes you count your own blessings.

I did get a little exasperated with the hapless Roz at several points, she is pretty amoral and incredibly naive for an educated women, but it was easy to get swept along with the way one bad decision leads to another and I'm reading it and shouting "NO - for Gods sake woman, just say NO"

However it's so engaging and irresistibly readable I could forgive her and found myself rooting for her most of the time. I also enjoyed meeting up with DC Joanne Aspinall again although this time she plays very much a supporting role rather than a starring role as she does in the previous books, and I really missed her Aunt Jackie.

Paula Daly's real strength lies in her ability to create very believable quirky characters and place them in dark situations which she serves up with a wry sense of humour - brilliant.

My thanks go to Netgalley for allowing me yet again the privilege of reading a great book before publication date.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I do love a psychological thriller but don't you find, often, in these books you do get annoyed and think NOOOOOO, same with scary movies, I am like don't do it, don't go there.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.