Wednesday, 1 January 2014

The Cheesemakers House - Jane Cable

The Cheesemaker's HouseThe Cheesemaker's House by Jane Cable
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow what a really terrific spooky romance. I won a signed copy of this book and was thrilled as it's set in Northallerton, North Yorkshire - which is about 12 miles from my home and a place I regularly visit. I love to read books in settings with which I'm familiar.

However it's such a beautifully written, easy to read story with memorable characters that I'm sure I'd have loved it just as much wherever it was set.

The main protagonist is Alice, 30 something, recently divorced and busy settling into her new life as a newly single woman in an old cottage in North Yorkshire which she aims to renovate. She rapidly makes new friends in Owen, gentle kindly, local cafe owner with a reputation as a "charmer" which doesn't mean he's a flirt and Richard, good looking builder working on her cottage renovation. Margaret keen gardener, a vicar's wife Jane and cafe cook Adam all find places in her new life.

But all is not going quite as swimmingly as it would appear, she is frequently disturbed in the night by loud crying which she is unable to pinpoint, she begins to see Owen in places he can't possibly be, then an unsettling discovery is made during the renovation work and Alice begins to fear for her own and Owens sanity.

I found I rattled through this book in a couple of days, I was charmed by Owen, no pun intended and captivated by the gentle ghost story.

Reminiscent of books by Susanna Kearsley and Rachel Hore this is a delightful romantic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.