Thursday, 7 November 2013

The Asylum - Johan Theorin

The AsylumThe Asylum by Johan Theorin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A friends review of this book brought it to my attention, and I really enjoyed it. I barely noticed that it was a translation from the original language as it doesn't lose anything in translation although I did find myself reading it with a faint Swedish accent in my head!

I found it quite a sad and empathetic story about loneliness and the different ways it affects different people. Its also psychologically very chilling which I like in a story.

The main character is Jan who goes to work in a childcare facility attached to a High security mental health facility where criminals and the insane are locked up and their children cared for in the adjoining nursery and aloowed to visit their parents. Jan has his own secret past involving a missing child, failed suicide and other issues which is gradually revealed and what unfolds is a story of longing, betrayal, deception and revenge with quite a few well concealed twists I didn't pre guess, my only gripe was the ending which just left a couple of issues unresolved and left me wondering what would happen next to a couple of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.