Thursday, 7 November 2013

Letters from Skye - Jessica Brockmole

Letters from SkyeLetters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided with a review galley of this book from Netgalley, however when I began to read it and realised the whole book was in the form of correspondence I struggled somewhat. This is not my favourite kind of writing as I find the short snatches of conversation in the form of letters doesn't often allow me to get as deeply involved as a first or second person narrative. It's also a dual time story - this is a genre I often enjoy, however I did find the 2 settings of world war one and world war two a little difficult to distinguish between. Because of this I picked it up and put it down a few times and had a couple of false starts.

It tells of 2 romances, first we have a long distance relationship forming by letter between Elspeth, a poet living on the remote Isle of Skye in Scotland who gets a letter from a young man who has read her poetry, they begin their friendship by letter and it develops into love. We are also introduced to Elspeths daughter Margaret and more letters some of them lengthy and a mystery involving missing letters. For me it was uneccessarily confusing and complicated with some flowery phrases and parts which didn't ring true.

For anyone who loves books in letter format and world wars one and two this is an unusual romantic story with a few twists to keep you turning the pages. I'm just a little disappointed that for me it didn't quite live up to my hopes for it I always feel guilty if I don't totally enjoy a book which has been so kindly provided free of charge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.