Tuesday, 23 April 2013

White Horse - Alex Adams

White HorseWhite Horse by Alex Adams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I won a copy of this book from the publishers Facebook page. I wasn't completely sure whether it would appeal and I probably wouldn't have gone out and bought it - what a GEM I'd have missed out on!

The book cover likens it to "the hunger games"The Hunger Games and this made me expect a YA fantasy. Don't get me wrong I've read and loved The hunger games, but this is quite, quite different. It's a truly horrifying look at the breakdown of society following a pandemic and man made disasters which could all too easily really come to pass!

Set in our world just before and following global disaster, the narrative flits back and forth between two time periods - then and now. Told in the first person by Zoe, a thirtysomething woman, THEN - widowed and working in a cleaning job in a laboratory, to fund her further education. She has a recurring nightmare which leads her to see a shrink, to whom she ultimately finds herself attracted. NOW - she wanders a dystopian world of nightmarish scenes, where she is one of the few survivors of a worldwide pandemic a terrible virus which, in the few instances where it doesn't kill has the power to alter and mutate genetic structure, meaning that even if she comes across another survivor who looks ok, she can't assume their humanity is still intact.

She is on a journey of survival and takes us along for the ride - what happens is often brutal, very gory and completely terrifying. It takes quite a lot to scare me and this one most definitely had the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who isn't too squeamish and even though it might appeal to many readers of the hunger games it is MUch more adult in theme and I'd urge you to judge it for its own merits.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.