Wednesday, 30 January 2013

The Playdate - Louise Millar

The PlaydateThe Playdate by Louise Millar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Excellent twisty psychological thriller with 3 deeply flawed female lead characters - loved it.

The story focusses on 3 very different female lead characters - all easy to relate to and extremely well constructed yet whom as we get to know them are all in different ways deeply flawed characters.

Callie is bringing up her daughter Rae single handed and is deeply protective of her rather fragile daughter. Both find it hard to make friends and be accepted so Callie has come to rely on the friendship of Suzy her neighbour and fellow mother, American and somewhat slapdash she brings up her 3 boys whilst her husband Jez spends more and more time at the office.

Into the picture comes the rather highly strung Debs and her husband, when they move into the neighbourhood next door to Suzy.

It's inevitable that the 3 womens' paths cross, and as their lives become entwined we are drawn deeper into each of their circumstances and a creeping feeling of unease begins to stir in the readers mind as we wonder who if any of them can be trusted and who has the most to hide.

I loved the way the story begins quite gently and semms like a nicey nicey chick lit/ aga saga then develops into something deep and dark and really rather nasty.

It took me a little while to get into it I really did think at first it wasn't going to be my cup of tea at all, but how wrong I was - and so glad I stuck with it. This is a masterful and convoluted plot handled with ease and superb authorship. If you have similar tastes to me do read this I don't think you'll be disappointed.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I love books with twists especially where you least expect them.

    Also thanku for linking up to our UK Bloggers linkup, now following you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds deliciously creepy! I found you via Beck Valley Books, and I am a new GFC follower :)

    I hope your week is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.