Friday, 4 January 2013

Gone Girl - by Gillian Flynn

Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a deep, disturbed and twisty plot this thriller has. A Couple of friends recommended this book as I love a psychological chiller and to be honest it took me a while to get into it but once I was there I was hooked.

It is the story of a married couple - Nick and Amy and what a flawed and psychologically damaged pair these 2 are. We begin with Nick narrating and telling us the story of how Amy has gone missing from their home the scene of a violent struggle apparent, and as the story flips back and forth between narrators, looking back in time to when they first met, when the cracks began to appear in their marriage and getting both points of view we begin to mistrust what we are told and wonder who is the least reliable narrator.

Discovering the truth takes us on a journey of shocking discovery, with characters its impossible to like, but often to grudgingly, cringingly admire for their deviousness and blatant immorality.

Despicable traits in almost all the main characters, however, instead of alienating the reader keep you on the edge of your seat all the way through and had me gasping at their audacity at some points.

The end felt a touch rushed but the journey to get there was so exciting I can forgive that, if you like tense thrillers give this a try I don't think you'll be disappointed.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, with every review I read of this book I become more and more convinced I must get my hands on a copy! Definitely seems like one of the stand-out titles of 2012.

    Marie
    http://www.girlvsbookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a compelling page turner. I agree that it keeps you on the edge of your seat and is astounding sometimes how they behave!

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.