Sunday, 29 April 2012

The Vanishing point - Mary Sharratt

The Vanishing PointThe Vanishing Point by Mary Sharratt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Loved this book - it was so well written I felt as though I was there travelling from England to the wilds of America with Hannah and May 2 sisters who are so human with all their faults and flaws.

Back in the late 1600s in small town England the choices for women were few. Devoted sisters May and Hannah are very different in personality, May is lusty and lively and rather wanton and her desires are to be free, seek adventure and find excitement, but her promiscuous nature brings her nothing but shame and her options few, so when her father offers her hand in marriage to the son of a distant cousin who has settled in faraway America as a plantation owner she seizes on this as an opportunity for travel and the adventure she craves.

What she finds at the far side of the world isn't all she was expecting and her life as wife to a plantation owner far more uncouth and isolated than she'd hoped for.

As time passes and fortunes change her shy and more delicate younger sister Hannah finds herself alone and heading off to find May changes her life in ways never contemplated.

What ensues is a harsh, bleak story of survival and retribution.

Lots of twists and turns, quite tense and brought a tear to my eye in a few places. Great descriptions of the raw brutality of life on the very edge of civilization.
Once you get your head around the many jumps back and forth in time with one sister narrating, then the other the story sucks you in and doesn't let go. Unusual and innovative.

I think this might appeal to anyone who loved The Outlander

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Sounds a bit different to what I've been reading lately, but definitely worth a go. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Jan- I'm a real Outlander fan so this one appeals to me -thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words! I have a new novel, ILLUMINATIONS, about Hildegard von Bingen coming out in October. Would you like a review copy? You can read more on my website: www.marysharratt.com :)

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.