The sisters brothers - Patrick De Witt

The Sisters BrothersThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I must admit a little disappointment that I only feel able to give this book 3 out of 5 - that doesn't mean I hated it - of course not, I liked it, it was an entertaining read, quite a page turner and undoubtedly well written - but it just didn't grab me quite the way I hoped it would.

The Sisters brothers is as far from my usual genre as a book can possibly be but having read rave reviews from several friends whose opinions I value and hearing the presenters on the channel4 TVbookclub waxing lyrical about it I felt intrigued enough to borrow a copy and see if it was as good as the hype. Sadly it wasn't.

The first 100 pages or so had me gripped - the two main characters brothers who work as hired assassins in a Western goldrush setting. The main narrator is the slightly less cruel and vicious Eli and it was with him that I had a bit of a problem - so many readers have praised him and said they adored his character and I just found him annoying, rather boorish and slightly pathetic.

After the great beginning the scenes become more disjointed and the story ceases to flow as well as it does at the start. There are several scenes I just couldn't work out why they were there and what the relevance was - the rather surreal little girl who enjoys administering poison for instance.

The dialogue is good but not oustanding, there are some blackly humorous parts and the storyline is interesting but not amazing.

An OK read that failed to blow me away.

Comments

  1. My favorite from Kindle's monthly Deals in February. It's a humorous picaresque about 2 cowboy psychopaths that just keeps amusing you.
    Top Recommended Dallas SEO Service

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.

Popular Posts