Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Teacher, teacher by Jack Sheffield

Teacher, Teacher!Teacher, Teacher! by Jack Sheffield

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I read this book as part of the Transworld book group reading challenge 2011. Whildt the first 2 books I read for this challenge justified a full 5 stars and I completely loved them this one failed to impress quite as much and didn't entertain or amuse me as much as I'd anticipated.



It's the memoirs of a newly appointed head teacher in the 1970s in rural North Yorkshire, a place not far from where I hail and with which I am familiar and set in an era which I recall well.



Written in similar vein to the books by James Herriot with nuances of the vicar of Dibley. It's really just a series of short stories strung together and I was quite disappointed in the way he concentrates on the parents and staff more than the pupils and found he seems quite condescending to the locals, tarring them all with a country yokel brush. I didn't really warm to him and even found it pretty annoying the way he'd be telling a story and suddenly mention what was playing on the radio or news so as to give a sense of the period which seemed very contrived.



The writing didn't flow very well and I won't be reading any more by this author, however there are a few redeeming moments which had me smiling.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.