Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

Jamrach's Menagerie Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Jaffy's adventures. At the beginning of this book I felt it was possibly going to be more of a young adult novel but as it progresses it most definitely isn't. I was a tad disappointed that the story doesn't concentrate more on the animals than it does and was hoping for a water for elephants Water for Elephants kind of feel but was very wrong.

Its a very atmospheric historical story about a young lad living in poverty in the London slums of the mid 19th century who comes across a tiger escaped from a local menagerie, which leads to his gaining employment with the animal keepre and meeting a whole new set of friends which set his life on a different course.

Together with his best friend Tim he sets off to sea on a whaling ship with hopes of capturing a fabled dragon creature from a south sea island. The main essence of the story centres around events at sea and the affect it has on his life. Gory and gritty many shocks are contained in this part, yet what could be a boring tale is kept vibrant and exciting by the superb writing and I was captivated from start to finish.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. This has hopped on and off my wishlist so many times, still not sure! Indecisive Libran... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Jan, I still can't decide about this one either but your review has given me a clearer idea of what it is about. :)
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.