Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water for ElephantsWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


WOW, what can I say I loved this book once I got into it.

I must admit it took me 3 tries as I found the first few pages rather slow and a bit disjointed so I started it and put it down a couple of times but as so many people I know have waxed lyrical about this book I decided to stick with it.



I'm SO glad I persevered as when I eventually got into the writing style and connected with the characters the story began to flow deliciously and got better and better all the way through!



It begins with 93 year old Jacob (or am I 90?) sitting in an old peoples home reminiscing about his youth when he joined a travelling "train" circus.



Getting grumpier and more irascible as the frustrations of being stuck in an ageing body, cared for by strangers.



The book is a dual time period book (of which I have read so many recently, and enjoy) and the tales of circus life are well researched, frequently horrific, often amusing, never dull.



I fell totally in love with Rosie, the elephant and one or two of the human characters too, although there are more who are absolutely hateful.



By the time I finished the book all I could say was WOW, it sucks you in slowly and then tears along like a train with you clinging to the roof breathless and desperate to hang on and read just a few more pages.



If you've got this but not read it yet do give it a try I can heartily recommend it.



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. This is next on my list, I've had it on my shelf for ages and had no idea it had been turned into a movie until recently, so now if I read it, I might be able to get the hubbie to take me to the cinema to see it! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I'm a voracious reader however never read a story about the circus - I found it delightful and satisfying. The characters were powerful and colorful. However - being a middle-aged reader it certainly didn't make me look forward to old age! Nevertheless - a wonderful read - you won't be disappointed.
    top recommended Second Wave Recycling Donate Cell Phones service

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.

Popular Posts