Sunday, 28 November 2010

The Owl killers by Karen Maitland

The Owl KillersThe Owl Killers by Karen Maitland

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I'm so pleased I enjoyed this book as I was really looking forward to reading it. Enjoyed her first novel "company of liars" so much I thought it might be a hard act to follow.

Well, Ms Maitland does herself proud with this big, detailed epic which takes on the huge subject of superstition and legend wrapped in with religion.

Its set in a village in England in the early 1300s when a group of women living in a Beguinage arrive, not quite Nuns they nevertheless live in a women only, cloistered existence which causes a lot of prejudice and superstition amongst the superstitious villagers and the church.

It paints a vivid picture of life in the dark ages where poverty and superstition ruled peoples lives, the author must have done some very interesting and detailed reasearch to come up with so many ideas and legends which are based on real medieval myths.

The characters which have been created for this book are all fascinating and very well created.

You'd think a 550 page book where about half the main characters are called Martha would be difficult to follow but its not, each character is etched clearly and has their own unique personality and flaws.

Loved it.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. You sent me this Jan and it's still on my tbr. I must get it out and read it soon, great review.

    ReplyDelete

Liked a review? Please add a comment I love to hear from readers.